Saturday, August 12, 2006

FX Caprara

In September of 2005 I purchased a 2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 with 18000 miles on it. It's a beautiful car inside and out. Jaguar has a 4 yr 50,000 mile new car warranty so I would still have plenty of warranty to come. I laughed a little when FX Caprara's salesman gave me a one year 12,000 mile used car warranty. Of course I would use a Jag dealer for warranty work. The salesman said that if it needed warranty work they would get it down to the dealer. He had already sold the car so I don't know why he was giving me this info...I was a bit skeptical.

The vehicle has been great for me and would buy another and for it to get between 28-30 mpg hwy is excellent.

So recenlty I had to drive to Syracuse for Zack's dr appt and in Watertown the engine light comes on. A quick look in the owners manual indicated amber light = "limp home mode". I guess a red light would mean abandon ship. While in Syracuse I called the dealer to see if they could run a diagnostic on it and he apologized profusely for being down a tech making him unable to get it in that day. He agreed that I could get it tested locally if the shop had the proper equipment.

So driving home....and I still do not see any depreciation in performance of the vehicle so I thought to stop at Caprara where I bought it to make an appt to have them run the diagnostics. I was thinking if it was something major I would have the work done at Syracuse at the Jag dealer and if minor they could do the work there. Makes sense, right?

So I go into the service dept and talk to one guy. He talks to another who is on the phone who says it's under jag warranty it will have to go there. I asked if they could at least run the diagnostics he said "We could get the code but then we wouldn't know what to do with it".

Really now??? Hmmm The car has ODBII on it as all cars in the US are equipped with per EPA. Let's see now...I guess I would not have been able to have my car inspected at the same dealer I bought it at?? This car would have failed the inspection and I would have left Caprara's clueless as to the cause. I really hope I am wrong here.

In any case I know of a company who work on foreign vehicles. I stopped into G Wizz Auto Group on my way home after stopping at Caprara's and told them what I needed done and if they could run the diagnostic. If the car has ODBII then most likely but the guy asked his head tech to verify and came back with an affirmative and I made an appt.

It took 10 minutes when I went back to my appt to find out that error code that came up (PO456) meant that there was a very small evap system leak. They reset the engine light and to me if it comes back on then there was a leak in the system as opposed to error being caused by a loose gas cap.

It amazes me that a dealer will sell cars he is unable or unwilling to work on. I can understand this being the case with a small mom and pop corner lot but this is one of the supposedly major dealers in the area. I was not asking them to perform warranty work but in the end they couldn't or wouldn't even run a diagnostic thereby turning away work.

So... Will I buy another car at Caprara's??? most likely no. I have bought car's at both Dealmaker and Fucillo's and have not had a problem yet when I needed service.

7 comments:

Marcus P. Smithers said...

I heard that FX Caprara is run by a bastard love child spawned from incest that would make Forrest Gump look like Bill Gates. Special FX, as he's known around the JRC circles, has a pimped out short-bus and custom blue helmet and is often fond of saying "I'd like to check your dip stick with my tongue and make your engine rev like a 178 beaver-powered horse". I don't know what the fuck exactly that's suppose to mean, but it only goes to show that, at the end of the day, fucking retards selling cars are still fucking retards.

Anonymous said...

when trying to get my vechicle serviced under warranty a crapheads auto where it was purchased with an extended warranty the service managers response was oh you'll have to pay because the warranty co. has gone under and we wont cover it. so i'll never purchase even a freezer pop from the two con brothers again especilly another vehicle

Anonymous said...

Fx capara is a bunch of fucking idiots, the new ford store is run by the biggest drunk asshole John Russel that ever stumbled through Sandy Creek. There is more drunks that drink while they are working in that fucking place then there are at a bar. The health inspector should walk in there sometime. Do not buy from the FX franchise, they are dishonest and all the caparas care about is the dollar, but his wife looks like she can fuck and suck

Anonymous said...

Well, I bought a cavalier a few years back when FX was in the mall. Shame on me, I did not ask for a test ride but the car was a year old and I thought what could possibly be wrong. The car showed 8,000 MILES. When I went to pick the car up a few days later. They waited for me to sign all the paperwork and actually sit in the vehicle with key in hand before they told me the car was in KILOMETERS. Pretty sneaky.
Fucillos is not any better. I bought a Hyundai Elantra for the long hauls back and forth to work. Within a week, the car started acting up. I called the dealership and they set up an appointment. The dealership was three hours away. They told me to drive the car down. I explained to them that my wife was 8 months pregnant and I would appreciate a quick turnaround. I dropped the car off at 9 that morning. They told me it would be ready within 2 hours. They gave me a loaner and sent me on my way. I called about noon and they said they did not look at the car yet but it is next in line. I waited until 2pm and called from my cell again. Still the car was not ready but they told me very soon. I drove all around Syracuse with nothing to do for 9 hours. Finally, I decided to go back to the dealership. The car was still in the same position I left it in. When I asked the service manager why the car has not been looked at even though I had an appointment, he told me that something else came up. WHAT!!Anyway, my wife who had little patiences at 8 mos preg. went off. They told us we could keep the loaner and they would contact me when car was ready. They would not fill the tank up on the loaner for me because I lived three hours away. I am not sure what that meant. (I got my money back on that after a few phone calls) A week later the car was ready. They called me three times within a 24 hour period, wanting to know when I was coming down to exchange the cars. I told them to deliver my car for all the problems I have had. Finally after a few more days, they sent someone up with the car. I was at work so they delivered it there. When I got into my car to drive home the tank was on E. So I had to fill up befor I could even drive home.

Anonymous said...

Why is the automotive industry getting so bad? Thanks for being honest on local business. I recently posted something regarding FX. http://newlinecreativegroup.com/andreivanchuk/2009/01/26/wheres-the-great-automotive-marketing/
Thanks,

D. Tweedy said...

A Jaguar huh? I remember when you drove that big arse Dodge Ram, Scott...that was back in the Stature Electric Days. Never figured you to be a Jag guy...you seem more of a Porsche dude to me.

I never had issues with Caprara, but then again, that was over 9 years ago when I last purchased a truck from them, and had the vehicle for all of 2 years.

I find most saleman to be clowns, to be honest, and I usually try to authenticate the major points of my interest in a vehicle by asking two or three other saleman on the side...of course, you will get at least two conflicting reports.

Scott Barker said...

Teedy,

You have the wrong person. I have never worked for Stature Electric and owned or driven a Dodge Ram either.

Other than that I am not a big fan of porches. If I had my pick of sports cars I would pick a Lotus, Eland or Elise.