Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The first rule of RockStar...

...Is you don't talk about RockStar. But what I REALLY want to know is what was (obviously) edited from the show when Newsted glared up into the peanut gallery after giving Ryan some criticism. It was obvious a fan must of shouted something out (criticism of their own to Jason, one can only guess)--because he looked none too pleased.

As for the show--well, it took almost two months, but a) we finally got a good show and b) Lukas was in the bottom three by the close of the show. My bottom three was actually Lukas, Storm, and Dilana, so I wasn't too far off--though it will be interesting to see how much viewer sympathy Dilana gets. Personally, I think her comments last week started her ship to sink, and then her blow-up may have sealed the deal. I can't see the voting public forgiving and forgetting both ordeals.

The performances--No. 1 and No. 2, separated by a hair on Magni's chin (cause he ain't got none on his head), go to Magni and Toby. I'm not a Billy Idol fan, save Money Money and Cradle of Love (and that had to do more with the girl in the video), but Toby seems to be made to sing these songs and it's his performance that makes them worthwhile. The song is just a song is just a song, so it's up to each artist to demonstrate what they're capable of bringing each and every week.

Magni, however, did what nobody in two seasons has managed to do on either RockStar, American Idol, or hell, the general publics own private showers, and that's sing--and I can't emphasize SING enough--I Alone by Live. Every other rendition has the vocals shrieking or shredding through the chorus, on the verge of popping throat vessels and causing lung clots. Most people have misinterpreted the intensity of the performance for vocal anarchy, but Magni actually sang it quite well.

Ryan was a bit all over the place with his performance, but I couldn't help to think just where and the hell did this guy come from over the last few weeks. He's definately found his little comfort zone with intense performances. Jason's criticism, I believe, was a bit unfounded; Ryan was simply trying to give them the spontinaeity they've harped on lacking from the contestants (just how old is that "walking through the crowd becoming, anyway?)

Storm. Well, she's pretty hot--what can I say? Haha. Actually, she did a good job with Evanescence, but I'll put money on the fact that she probably won't ask Toby to help her again. What's funny is if anybody knows the story behind Evanescence, Ben Moody was the chief songwriter and he left after Amy Lee's head started to get too big with all the attention she was getting. It will be interesting to see how their new album does (I have a feeling the won't have the same success as My Immortal, unless they write a blatent clone of the song).

Dilana, for the first time, showed more range in her voice. There was a "pureness" there in the early going that showed perhaps she does have a bit more to her and that's she's been holding out. She sequed her way into the rough spots with her voice appropriately, but you know, I'd take listening to say, The Veronicas version over hers because it does have that range... But that's just me, and The Veronicas are much cuter (and don't have that scary metal zipper face thing going on).

Last and not least, there's Lukas. I actually have to agree with Gilby, that this was his best performance of the show--however, what exactly does that say if he lands in the bottom three? I'll cut the guy a break this week, but I'll be damned if he's not back frying wings at Hooters in another two months--I just can't HEAR him as the right guy as his voice really lacks the dynamics.

The predicted boot for the week goes to... Storm. Sniff sniff. I'm gonna miss her in those dress/skirts dropping to the floor, but I think she's even been feeling it coming the last few weeks, however, I would not be surprised to see Dilana in the bottom three.

1 comment:

Scott Barker said...

it will be interesting to see how much viewer sympathy Dilana gets. Personally, I think her comments last week started her ship to sink, and then her blow-up may have sealed the deal. I can't see the voting public forgiving and forgetting both ordeals.

I disagree. Although we as a people love to see people royaly fuc* it up and especially when it is televised. We tend to salavate for it...ya know, seeing the mighty fall flat on their face.

But having said that we as a people are terribly short sighted as well. The more humbling the apology...well, we tend to forgive and/ore forget real quick. Sometimes just staying out of sight and the public eye will have the same effects.

Think Bill Clinton after the dress, Richard Nixon after Watergate was most revered towards the end, Marv Albert who lost his prominent broadcast position at NBC due to a sex scandal only to be rehired a couple years later. I believe the jury is still out on Pat O'brien though.

The point is we are willing to forgive and the more honest and remoursefull the person seems to be the speedier the recovery.

On another note, I pick Dilana or Storm to go next and I will pick Magni and Ryan in the finals