Sunday, January 21, 2007

Indy vs. Chicago

Well, I hope Peyton has his way with the Bears, because if he loses to the likes of Rex Grossman, it may signal the coming of the apocolypse. The Bears beat up an 11-6 team that was seeded second in the NFC, the weaker of the two conferences by far.

I have to admit I was hoping New England would find their way back to the Super Bowl, mostly because dynasties don't come very often and seeing Brady and co. at work is like watching stuff of future folklore unravel before one's eyes.

It is, however, unfortunate that Indy's winning drive was aided by a roughing the passer penalty (the refs seem to like giving Indy a REAL home advantage, if you recall the absurd call against the Steelers' interception being overturned last year).

In what was generally a physical fourth quarter where the officials let the teams play -- two potential pass-interference calls against Indy in two separate drives never materialized -- calling that penalty at that particular time was pretty weak. I understand their desire to protect the QB, but I'm sure Manning has suffered worse hang-nails.

So, it will be interesting to see how the spread opens on this one, though I wouldn't be surprised to see Indy start as a 3-4 pt favorite. Any why not? As good a defense Chicago has, the name of the game is score more points than the opponent, and I can't see the Bears doing that unless Indy's run defense misses the flight.

1 comment:

Scott Barker said...

I was kind of hoping The Saints would win their game or at the very least you like to be provided with some decent entertainment but to my regret, there was none. Chicago was the better team and dominated throughout.

I will have to admit that after the first quarter of the second game I was entertaining the thought of doing some channel flipping or rather hoping I would not be forced to.

It was Indy's time. CBS posted a stat last night about how many times New England won by just one score or on the last drive. I think it was 7 or 8 times this season.

Having said that there 7 or 8 times that they could have easily lost but pulled it off for one reason or another.

It was Indy's time and they came back to make it an exciting game and definately one to remember. Whether their winning was do in part to this call or that call, or non call for that matter or the flu etc is a non issue as when it was time to pull together to advance to the big game Indy was the better of the two last night.

Whatever the score I hope to see a good game....and let us noit forget about those half time commercials.