Monday, February 05, 2007

Linksys Wireless Router Problems

For a couple of months now we have been running off a Linksys wireless router WRT54GX4 Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX400. Our new home's cable wiring is not in an optimum location to connect directly to the router so I installed a wireless adapter Wireless N with SRX 400 in the desktop.

Since then we had been having quite allot of problems with intermittent dropping of signal and therefore loss of internet connection. Both the laptop and the desktop would have problems. Sometimes one and not the other then other times it was both at the same time and then other times we would lose signal from the router but internet signal to it was fine then other times we would lose everything....router, telephone, everything but the tv.

What was solving this issue albeit temporarily was momentarily unplugging the router and plugging it back in and wait a few moments while everything got back up and running. There were times this process would have to be repeated 3 or 4 times in a 30 min period, then it would seem to work fine for most of the day.

It made no sense cause there was no rhyme nor reason why it would be dropping, there was no pattern at all. When connected I was still getting up to 5+MB download speeds.

By the way, Linksys tech support was helpful but God...do I really want to stay on the phone with them for 2 or so hours while they walk through everything and still doesn't work like it should??? Not really is my answer. I was about to throw this all away and start from scratch with a different brand.

So I tried a couple things this weekend and for the second day now I have not lost a signal once and am still at 54.0 mbs from my router.

I downloaded the new driver. There was at least two new drivers one from Nov 2006 and one added recently for Vista. Running XP I of course downloaded the Nov 2006 version. My original was dated from April I believe.

The driver is not certified by Microsoft but what the hell.

I downloaded the file, unzipped it and installed it. So far so good. It seems that XP does not like the Linksys wireless network manager so I suggest the Windows version.

Like I said, so far so good. Solid and steady signal strength, not one drop so far.

No comments: