Friday, August 03, 2007

Friday, August 3

After smoking 20 pounds of beef all day you immediately have to remove your clothes, throw them into a medical waste bag and sterilize them. They do require washing but I am egsagerating a little. Now I have two crock pots full of beef. Almost got all of it in....I think 16 pound or so in the sauce. If you let it cook all day it breaks down really nice. Hmmmm, may I can call spoon pulled bbq?

So yesturday I was getting my potato salad ready to make which for me means dicing up eggs, radishes, a little onion, green peppers. I don't think I have mastered potatos yet on the stove so they are done to over done and are in the fridge cooling down to be diced up later along with the cuccumbers.

Yesturday was a bit hot here. It got to 97. When we moved down here we rented til our house in NY sold so we signed a 2 year lease cause this was a nice house and we wanted it. The lanlord put in central a/c but if you ask me she did it on the cheap. I hope they didn't pay too much for it. When the outside temp gets 95 or higher our a/c stops blowing cool air. The fan outside is still humming along mind you but its no where near cooling the air.

We're not asking for walk in freezer type temps but at least draw the humidity out of the house. I turned it off for about an hour then turned it back on....it started to work. My landlord is clueless and the guys that installed the system aren't any help. We've put a bug in here ear about buying the place if she's interested and if we do, that will be on our list of projects.

Zack and I went to the local market to pick up some hot dogs and when we started the car the outside temp said 122!!!

Here's some news I forgot to mention. I am a memeber of a website for disabled veterans call The Veterans Benefit Network and have been for quite a while now. There are a number of different forums where people ask questions about this or that...anything concerning veterans really, and hopefully someone will provide correct guidence for them. About a week ago I had an email from one of the administrators. He was looking for a few more moderators and my name came up. It was very touching.

I don't mind taking the time to use my life experience to help someone else and although I don't look for any reckognition there have been a few times where I was thanked for helping someone and that really is enough. This was a touching compliment though.

3 comments:

josie2shoes said...

Damn Scott, you are makin' me hungry here, and I just ate lunch! What time are you serving the BBQ, I'll be there! :-)

We have the same problem with our refrigerated A/C here in New Mexico. What is probably happening is that the system is freezing up. When it has to work very hard in the high heat to get the air cooled, it does this. It happens at my place and at work all the time. The secret is to shut it off for an hour or so to let it thaw out, then turn it back on. But if you set your thermostat a bit higher, it will keep the house a littel warmer, but it won't freeze up all the time - it doesn't do anything then! :-) I'll be glad to get past the 90+ summer weather, bet you will too.

Pen said...

Lucky for us here in MN it has been in the 80s. Based on recent temps, this actually feels cool so we haven't had to run our central air in two days. Thank goodness, too, because my electric bill is going to be gastly!

Are you a disabled vet? My dad is. Twenty years Air Force. He has all sort of problems because of his plane painting days before he went on to be base career advisor. We were stationed at Minot AFB in North Dakota and lived there damn near our whole lives. Just curious if you served?

Scott Barker said...

Josie,

Thanks for the info on the a/c. When the temp starts rising above what it is set for I shut it down so that is the problem.

Pen,

I spent four years in the Army of which 18 months were over in Germany and the rest spend in Maryland. This was ages ago, 82-86