Thursday, August 02, 2007

Bring It Home

I got up this morning and I do my usual routine of which is to check out Newzjunky for news from back home. It not only has alot of local news and happenings from the area back home in NY but state, national and world news....Newzjunky. I am the sort of person that if the info is available I want it now!!

So I am scrolling down the page and yes I see the story about the bridge collapse in Minn. but I saw that last night on CNN before I went to bed at 10 or so. I then saw the headline Fisher "Price to Recall Nearly 1 Million Toys" and I am thinking to myself that this has got to have something to do with China. I click onto the link and wouldn't you know it....those dang Chinese are cutting corners yet again just like I thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/business/02toy.html?ei=5090&en=1f7a68aea860bd6e&ex=1343707200&adxnnl=1&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1186054661-bJvBWKMfkUL0+dekpnIenQ

Lead Paint Prompts Mattel to Recall 967,000 Toys

Mattel, the maker of Barbie dolls and Hot Wheels cars, is recalling nearly one million toys in the United States today because the products are covered in lead paint.

According to Mattel, all the toys were made by a contract manufacturer in China.

The recall, the second biggest this year involving toys, covers 83 products made from April 19 to July 6. Many of them feature Sesame Street and Nickelodeon characters — including the Elmo Tub Sub, the Dora the Explorer Backpack, and the Giggle Gabber, a toy shaped like Elmo or Cookie Monster that toddlers shake to hear giggles and funny noises.

Mattel says it prevented more than two-thirds of the 967,000 affected toys from reaching consumers by stopping the products in its distribution centers and contacting retailers, like Wal-Mart, Target and Toys ‘R’ Us, late last week. But more than 300,000 of the tainted toys have been bought by consumers in the United States. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the toys may have a date code from 109-7LF to 187-7LF on the product or packaging.



When is this going to stop? Years ago, in an attempt to save $$ on the cost of manufacturing consumer goods they were made in Japan. Then they were made in Taiwan, then Mexico, now China. This is because the chinese workers are paid far less thanh even one dollar an hour. This is a country whose enviromental standards are back in the 19th century!

To a degree we can blame WalMart for this.

But this isn't about WalMart this is about China and the tainted consumer products they are sending us. When are we going to learn? Luckily we haven't had a rash of deaths as a result of tainted toothpaste or other food products. No, in the US no human have died, just our pets.

For those in the people republic of china reading this....

diethylene glycol in food ----- BAD
lead paint on child toys ------ BAD

get the point.

In an article I have seen today it stated that China has now banned diethylene glycol (found in antifreeze) in the making of toothpaste.

This was previously ok???

Did a government bureaucrat suddenly have an epithany and feel that a chemical you put in your auto may not be so good in your mouth? Christ, had they asked us we would have told them. It's not like its a state secret of ours. I know Kissenger and Nixon didn't go to China in the early 70's to open trade relations to sit at one of those HUGE confrence tables and say..."ya know Mr Chairman (Mao), lead paint and diethylene glycol in tooth paste may not be such a good idea."

When will it stop?

Do we need to actually have people die here in the US this cycle of stupidity ceases? Raise your hand if you really think somewhere in China they actually do make cardboard dumplings?? I know mine is up...at least I wouldn't put it past them. Do we as a county, as a people so really need stuff that is so inexpensive that we don't mind playing russian roulette with hazardously tainted products? If those same toys, dog food, tootpaste and whatever is next to be recalled (I forgot about the tires) were made here in the US certainly they would be more expensive.

Bring home the manufacturing jobs if anything just for the piece of mind.

For now this is nothing more than pie in the sky dreaming but some day there just might be a backlash and that is when we can bring it home.

3 comments:

josie2shoes said...

Excellent rant, Scott - I so agree with you. Why isn't this stuff being checked before it's allowed to enter our country. Will we accept anything from anywhere??

BTW, you have a great blog here, just as Pen told us you did! :-)

Pen said...

You know, Scott, I agree that this crap needs to end. How about making our products in our own damn country? Look at just about any product... it was made in China. Sick.

When I read this I ran upstairs and looked at my boys' Elmo tub sub. Made in China of course, but back in 1999 and was bought for my boys almost three years ago. Hubby doesn't think I should worry... I almost threw it away.

The pet food scare was equal in proportion. Thank God I was buying Purina for my cat. I couldn't handle losing another pet.

Thanks for posting this.

Scott Barker said...

Josie,

Welcome to my little part of the world and thank you for the nice comments. :)


Pen,

Some times you come across something that begs you to comment on. This was one of those. I will wager that we'll see something else on Chinese products within 2-3 weeks.