Wednesday, June 06, 2007

UGH!!

I had a rather eventful start to the morning yesturday with a nice trip to the ER.

It started with a little neck pain the night before when I went to bed. Nothing to worry about at the time. I just noticed a little soreness...not even enough to take anything for.

I was mistaken.

I woke up around 1:30 am with a nasty headache. Headaches for me are primarily at the base of the head/top of the neck area and if they are prolonged or more severe then I am likely to have a little nausea. I took a Tramadol and tried to get back to sleep.

I tossed and turned for quite a while. I tried this position and that nothing gave me more than a fleeting glimpse of relief.

At 4 or 4:30 I took a musle relaxor (Skelaxin) and then finally got back to sleep shortly afterward.

I woke up again about 5:30 and that was it.

This had happend once before and I stubbornly didn't want to go to the hospital cause I didn't think there was anything they could do. This is most likely caused by the severe stenosis in my neck and the compression is causes in the nerves. Thank god it was only the second time I have experienced this.

So Shelly took me to the ER about 6am. I was horribly nauseous, in quite alot of pain, shaking and just about hyperventalating. I could barely stand. The guy asked me on a scale of 1 - 10 what my pain level was. I said 12. 12?? Yeah 12.. If I can walk out of the hospital after an ACL replacement or heck, a partial knee replacement unassisted and without crutches then yeah, this is worse.

The ER DR said that she was going to put in an IV to give me multiple doses of drugs. I said "cool" I actually said that. I guess any relief at that point I would have been estatic over. I'm thinking "You go Girl!!!".

First was something for the nausea which went away almost immediately then came the pain meds. I was feeling much much better than when I came in. My BP was starting to come down as well.

1/2 hour after my I got into the ER I was asked how I was feeling and if I was ready to go home. I was a little confused, I wasn't expecting that. The Dr. came in and we talked and she said I could follow up with my DR's...either family or my neuro surgeon. Just so happens I have a 9am appt for routine bloodwork today.

So, at least in the meantime I have a new drug to take....percocet. It worked ok yesturday. Didn't take all the discomfort away but made things bearable

No comments: