Friday, April 20, 2007

Piggy-Backing

I am reading the news this morning and I see that in Britain they are starting to charge people under new laws aimed to prevent "piggy-backing". No, I am not talking about some youth oriented game but rather connecting to and using someone else's unsecured wireless network.

We have a wireless network in our home. It runs at 54 Mbps. We have it cause for one we have two computers and two because the broadband cable is 20 feet from the home computer. Yes, it is secured.


It also brings to mind when I was back home recently while working on the house that we are selling. I had the laptop and a search of available networks in the area turned up no less than 5. There was one that was strong enough that I was able to watch a CBS tv program on inntertube from the previous night.

If you have the wherewithall to set up a wireless network in your home then it stands to reason that you should be able to make it secure pretty effortlessly....unless of course you don't mind a neighbor not only "borrowing" your bandwidth but "stealing" some of your personal information.

No comments: