Monday, November 13, 2006

Life in PA

So Zack was off from school this past Thursday and Friday so....since I needed to do some laundry why not drive down to see Shelly a day earlier than she expected us?? lol I really did need to do some laundry but I figured I could also get some work done. It does take some time to get your license and registrations changed.

I had all the documents I needed for my license. You need to have your license first before you can register your car. I had the route all set from Mapquest on where to go so off we went Friday morning.

We get there and you take a number and wait to be called. There were two people working then one but there weren't many people there. After 10-15 min I was called up. I get to the eye exam and had to read from a machine that had a rotating 3 column display. My vision is ok and my script is probably 3 or 4 years old but it really hasn't changed. I get to the last one and the guy says read the one on the right.

Right??? lol I only see two?? You have a problem with your left eye don't you?? uh...yeahhh (thinking my glasses must have given THAT away). I have a lazy left eye and astigmatism. He hands me a form and says come back after you have an exam...we're open today til 4.

Ok...now my idea was to get my drivers license and get at least one car registered so we wouldn't have all three cars on two different sets of insureance policies. We're switiching from Travelers to AIG and saving $1000 per year. So off I went in search of a Pearl Vision or something similar.

I was on a one way st in a plaze but there was alot of stores and plazas that kind of reminded me like Arsenal St back home so I knew there must be one nearby. So I got back onto the interstate and came around near to where on got onto the one way street the license place was. I am probably driving a little slower than I should but damn....if there was a vision place I was set to find it.

Bingo!!! There was one and as I pulled into the parking lot of the plaze I noticed....damn, there's that license place....about 30 yards from the vision center. lol how convenient. I walk in and ask if they take walk ins and 30 min later I had my paper and was back to the license place. Script for glasses changed so minimally that I don't need new ones.

So, when I left the license place I was number 77 and when I took another number some 45 min later they were on number 88 and my new number was 22. So the one guy was done with one customer and looked up to the now serving sign and called out 89. The lady who he just helped turned around and said no, you're on 90.

Anyway another customer is helped and about 15 min later the guy looks up at the sign and says 89. Someone else is waiting on but I see a patern here and if he doesn't go to a new number I am jumping line lol. Sure enough, some 20 min later..."89"!!! My turn....10 min later I have my new license in hand.

They may need extra help on that counter. lol

So if you were thinking you can get your plates at the same place as your license....nope. It appears PA has outsourced that part of it. It's their state and they can do as they please. You have to go to what is called a messenger service but first you need to have the VIN on your car verified and you can't get that done at a messenger service.

To make a long story shorter. I went to AAA, they gave me a form to take across the street to a dealer who does inspections where he wrote the VIN down on this form and signed it and then it was back to AAA to get the plates.

Since I have three cars I need to repeat this three times but I have to do it myself since the cars are titled to me.

For the other two, since they are financed, I need to get permission from the finance companies to have them titled in PA.

Well, at least one set of NY plates gets turned in today lol.

No comments: