Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Degenerative Disc Disease



This image is mine taken the first week of January. Looks like I have put off having this surgery long enough.

I started having symptoms again in December. I would have episodes where I would have allot of intense numbness in my left arm. A couple of years ago I had somewhat similar symptoms on my right. The symptoms this time come and go whether I am sitting or standing. Putting it off any longer could mean that I lose motor function in the arm. My physical therapist says that I have more weakness in my right arm when compared to the left so although I have not had any problems with the right in the past 1.5 years or so, damage was still being done.

I have two more days of therapy and then I see my Neurosurgeon again on 2/16 and will tell him to go ahead and schedule the surgery.

What he said he will do is most likely go in from the back of the neck and fuse three vertebrae (I think C4-6) with a plate. That should alleviate some of the compression that you can see from the photo, but may take months to get results.

On another note. I had my one year follow up for my left knee replacement....all is looking great there.

I am starting to think I should have signed up for some kind of surgical rewards program.

1 comment:

Milasha said...

New to online dating? Then let me introduce to you an excellent cyber environmnet I use myself. Sofia Date is a great place for any person, newcomer and experienced user. Everything is nice structured, clear, and you can easily make out what next step to take. Many pretty girls, hundreds of messages, photos, and much more... find your destiny