Friday, October 19, 2007

Here's To Your I Phone

Recently I received an email from my brother Jim. He took a picture with his new iphone. Honestly, I would like to think of myself a gadget type of person and we had looked at the iphones when they came out.

The point that turned me away from the iphone was that AT&T locked you into a data plan. We currently have two cell phones and 700 minutes per month. Between the two of them and even though we use our cell phone primarily over the landline we never come anywhere close to using those minutes in a month's time. I think collectively we're lucky if we use 300.

So if I wouldn't use it to hop onto the internet, say while I am shopping at the mall, there was a feature that I really don't need. We as a household don't buy our music from itunes so there's another feature lost to us. I know there are many people who are suffering now from carpal tunnel syndrome who love these features and that is fine. For me, the iphone wasn't worth the $$.

Now onto something different.

There have been attempts over the last 10 years to bring a device into your living room that would effectively link all your media together. You could access sound, movie or picture files that are stored on your computer and view or listen to them in another room.

So a couple weeks ago I decided to try out a function of the playstation 3. I knew it could connect to your network to access files and the internet, etc; I just hadn't tried it.

The internet here at the house is wireless. It comes into the house via the tv cable and the high speed wireless router. So to connect the Playstation 3 to the network involved just connecting it with an ethernet cable to the router.

Ta Da

It will now play any video, music or photo file on the tv....

or



You can access the internet.

Now all I need to do is install adobe flash and I can listen to my xm radio through the stereo.

No comments: